I must admit I was a bit hesitant about the no roll crust but, much to my delight, it came out great! Also, the filling is lovely, and the lack of a top crust allows you to thoroughly enjoy the flavorful berries. Also, this pie is not too sweet and relies on the berries for its wonderful taste. This one goes in the permanent recipe box!
Blueberries and Cream Pie With No Roll Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups blueberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for whipped cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, for whipped cream
- Put first five ingredients in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Mix with a fork until well blended and pat into the pan.
- Push the pastry up the sides and form a nice edge with your thumb and finger.
- Prick the crust with a fork to prevent bubbling of the pastry during baking.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Rinse berries and pick out any undesirable ones.
- After the berries have drained pour onto a paper towel to dry somewhat and then pour them into the pastry shell.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir in the milk and 1/2 cup whipping cream.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour over the berries and bake for 45 minutes.
- After about 30 minutes, check the pie.
- If the edges are getting very brown, cover with strips of aluminum foil.
- Cool on a wire rack and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- To make whipped cream, beat 1/2 cup very cold whipping cream until stiff.
- Chill the bowl before whipping the cream to improve the results.
- Add vanilla and 2 tbsp sugar.
- Serve a dollop of whipped cream on each serving of pie.