Chocolate Italian Love Cake





Ok. After MUCH anxiety about making this for a Potluck on Wednesday, I decided to give it a try last night (Monday).

I used BETTY CROCKER cake mix and a disposable pan because it seemed larger than my regular 9×13. I made the cake according to the directions and put it in the pan.

I mixed the cheese layer using name brand WHOLE ricotta cheese and poured it over the cake. This is where I started having doubts. I literally poured it, there was no spreading, and it kind of just sank into the cake mix. I thought; “Awww crud! Pinterest Fail on the way!!!” But I held my breath and put my disposable cake pan on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven.

I promised not to look for 30 min unless I smelled burned cake. After 30 minutes I peeked. THE LAYERS HAD SWITCHED!!! The cake pan was at maximum (and then some) capacity though. I tested with a toothpick after another 30 min and it came out clean so I took it out of the oven. It was WAY higher than the pan, but as it cooled it sank back down to almost normal. It’s in the fridge right now mingling the flavors. I will put the Cool Whip/pudding layer on tonight and serve it tomorrow.

I’m calling this one a success .. Good luck! Trust the original recipe!!! Follow it exactly and it will work!

Recipe >> Chocolate Italian Love Cake @ chewnibblenosh.com