This was really easy to make and fun. They turned out really great and were the hit of teacher appreciation week for my kids teachers. I just wanted to suggest using parchment paper on the tray instead of greasing and flouring. That's what I did and it was great. It helped to make a smooth transition to the cutting board for cutting..
Mississippi Mud Cake
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 cup of melted butter (or 1 stick of butter and 1 stick of margarine)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 (10.5-ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
Ingredients for the chocolate frosting:
- 1 (16 oz) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
- Pre-heat oven to 350° degrees
- Whisk together melted butter and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir in flour and chopped pecans.
- Spread batter (it will be thick) into a greased and floured 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan (or use a deep dish cookie sheet).
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Note: Reduce the temperature by 25 degrees if you are using a dark pan.
- Remove from oven; top warm cake evenly with marshmallows.
- Return to oven, and bake 5 minutes.
- Make Chocolate Frosting: Beat all ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Drizzle Chocolate Frosting over warm cake.
- Let the cake cool completely before cutting into squares!
HERE'S A TIP FOR THOSE OF YOU IN A HURRY: You can also use 2 (19.5-ounce) packages of brownie mix instead of making the brownies from scratch.