Sweetened Condensed Milk Cake

Sweetened Condensed Milk is having a bit of a moment.  It has a lot of things going for it when it comes to food trend bingo: sweet, rich, vaguely nostalgic, cheap, found in a can. It also can be transformed into an amazing dulce de leche, just by boiling a can in water for 90 minutes. It’s versatile and simple, and pulls at my heartstrings, as if it’s nestled somewhere in my past.  But it’s not.  My mom was more of a “golden syrup” lady, so sweetened condensed milk’s charms are a new revelation to me.

This cake mirrors the simple loveliness of its star ingredient.  It’s compact and dense, filled with not-too-sweet eggy flavor, but not a show stopper.  It’s the cake that I devoured over the course of a day.  It’s the cake I have to taste every time I walk passed it, because, I simply have to. You can serve it almost plain, with just a kiss of lemon zest and powdered sugar, like I did, or you could add a dark chocolate glaze or some whipped cream and berries to really make it impressive.

Recipe >> Sweetened condensed milk cake @ technicolorkitcheninenglish.blogspot.com