This simple chocolate cake is a favorite of Lucinda Scala Quinn's oldest son, Calder. Topped with whipped cream and sliced strawberries, it makes for an easy and delicious dessert.
Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream and Berries
- 2 Busy-Day Chocolate Cake, baked in 2 8-inch round cake pans
- 2 pints heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Bake cakes and cool completely.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks, add the sugar and vanilla, and whip again until just stiffened. Do not over mix!
- Slice the top off 1 cake round to make a flat surface. Spread bottom cake round with a thick layer of whipped cream. Top with a layer of half the amount of strawberries. Top with the other cake round and spread with another thick layer of whipped cream. Top with remaining strawberries.
- Slice and serve with any extra whipped cream and berries on the side.